Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Every heart beats true to the red white and blue!


Dying rice is so easy and super fun!
You can dye rice for any ocasion making a varitety of colors.  This year it's red, white and blue for July 4! 



To dye rice all you need is food coloring, vinegar, ziplock baggies, tray or shallow dish, paper towels...and rice!  



  • Divide rice into 3 equal parts. Place 2 of the parts into separate ziplock baggies (one for red, the other for blue).  The third part you'll leave white.
  • Add 2 teaspoons of vinegar or rubbing alcohol to each bag...we even heard you could use hand sanitizer!
  • Add food coloring to each bag.  We used about 15 drops!


  • Zip lock your baggies and mix the color around by smushing the bag and spreading out the color evenly.  You might need to add a few more drops of food coloring and vinegar until you get the color or brightness you want.
  • Set some paper towels on a tray or plate.  Once your rice is mixed, open each bag and spread it out on the tray to let dry.  It doesn't take long at all!

Funfetti!
Be careful when layering!

"This land was made for you and me!"



16 comments:

  1. Hi Crafties! Love this great idea for the 4th and everyday! Thank you for sharing on our BeBetsy Brag About It party!
    See you soon! Sharon and Denise
    Follow us:
    Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Bloglovin ~ Pinterest

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this idea! When I taught preschool years ago, we would dye pasta and use it for sorting activities. I had forgotten all about this type of craft! I'm honestly going to do this today with my kids. I love that it's something they can get involved with. I even think I'll make shakers with the rice for my 12 month old to play with! How fun! I found you on the Say G'Day blog hop and I'm so glad I did! I hope you can stop by my little corner of the blogging world at www.RocksNoSaltMommy.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super cool easy but fun craft to make and share! Thank you for posting t as part of the Answer is Chocolate's Pin Party! This is one DIY that even I can do this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now THIS is a fantastic project! I'll do this for Christmas.

    Thanks for sharing your recipe at Tuesdays with a Twist. Looking forward to seeing what you share this week!

    http://back2basichealth.blogspot.com/2013/07/tuesdays-with-twist-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very fun and festive! Thank you for linking up at Hickory Trail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What does the vinegar/alcohol actually do and why is it needed? Sorry to ask a stupid question.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is cool...never thought to dye rice...genius! Now I have so many things running through my head....uh...thanks! LOL

    Pinning this in my 4th board.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so cute!

    Again thanks for joining the Link Up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love the look of the layered colored rice for your 4th of July votives. Thank you so much for linking up to Dare to Share this week.. You are the Dare to Share Feature of the Day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Thank you for joining us on the Wake Up Wednesday Link Party! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a pretty, cute idea. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!! Laura@Baking in Pyjamas

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a simple and awesome idea, great with the kids as well. I am featuring your post at my link party tomorrow on Tuesday's with a Twist, please come by and check it out. I hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super cute and cheap! Your idea is very neat. Congrats on the feature over at the Twirl & Take a Bow link party at Art is Beauty!! You deserve it. :) Have a lovely day! ~ Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea! Thanks for sharing it... will have to try it with my six year old. Uh, on second thought, maybe not! LOL. Love your display for the 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute idea. Thanks so much for sharing at #HomeMattersParty. Hope you come back and share again.

    ReplyDelete